Connecting you to what matters most.
Canaan Baptist Church exists to...
The answer to God’s original plan for man, man’s choice and resulting sin problem, and God’s solution to that sin problem—is Christ Jesus. Most people believe there is a God, but most don’t believe in the God that sent Jesus Christ. Most people believe that if there is a God, then their good works or their high moral standards or their “religious beliefs” will get them in good with God and get them into heaven. But that is NOT what the Bible teaches.
But to all who did receive Him, He gave them the right to be children of God, to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood, or of the will of the flesh, or of the will of man, but of God. John 1:12-13 (HCSB)
“We will create biblical disciples in relational environments.”
Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men. —Matthew 4:19 (NIV)
Canaan Baptist Church is on a mission to be intentional about multiplying communities of Christ-followers one person at a time in the greater St. Louis community and beyond. We hope you will join one of our Connection Groups or Bible Fellowship Groups and develop relationships with other people who face some of the same struggles that you do.
A disciple of Jesus is someone who is living and loving like Jesus, and pleading with others to do the same.
- One who is following Christ—has made Jesus Lord of their life. Luke 9:23; John 8:31
- One who is being changed by Christ—is becoming like Christ in attitude and action. John 15:8; Romans 8:29; Galatians 5:22; John 13:35
- One who is committed to the mission of Christ. (Christ’s mission is to save a lost world — ministry of reconciliation.) John 15:8; Matthew 4:19; 2 Corinthians 5:19-20
A relational environment is:
- A small group from 3—18 people.
- A meeting with purpose and intentionality to grow as a disciple.
- A group led by a more mature disciple.
- A place where safe relationships are built.
- A place where accountability, shepherding, encouragement, and teaching exist.
- A regularly reoccurring meeting.
Click here for more information about how you can be involved with one of our Connection Groups.
We all have special gifts, passions, abilities, and experiences that make us unique. As believers, these gifts and abilities are used to minister to others and build up the body of Christ.
Based on the gift each one has received, use it to serve others, as good managers of the varied grace of God.— 1 Peter 4:10
At Canaan, we help you to define the following:
S = Spiritual Gifts
“To each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.” (1 Peter 4:10)
H = Heart
“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:21)
A = Abilities
“I [God] have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts.” (Exodus 31:3)
P = Personality
“Mary sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.” (Luke 10:39-40)
E = Experience
“Now I want you to know that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.” (Philippians 1:12)