And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, commit to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2
What are DE groups?
Discipleship Essential (DE) Groups consists of 3-5 people (men or women). These groups meet together weekly to promote deep friendships, accountability, growth and maturity in Christ. If you are ready to join or lead a group, email email@example.com.
Why are DE groups important?
We connect to purpose through discipleship.
Making disicples is Jesus' command to us—our mission. We see biblically that disciples are best made in the context of small groups of 3-5 people. We desire to follow Jesus’ example and make disciples which is what He commands in Matthew 28:18-20. Jesus gave this Great Commission to everyone:
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
What exactly do you study or do in a DE group?
As your local church we’re here to help you do what Jesus commanded.
Below are some basic practices and helpful info involved when DE groups meet:
- We use a book called “Discipleship Essentials” by Greg Ogden — It’s an excellent tool for making disciples. In addition to the Bible, this workbook helps us understand what we need to know and do as a disciple of Jesus Christ. (workbook costs about $10)
- Each individual is encouraged to complete a weekly assignment on their own.
- Your group of 3-5 men/women meet together once a week to discuss what you have learned.
- Spend time praying for one another.
- Groups might take as little as 6 months to complete the book, but usually it takes about a year.
What happens when I complete the book?
Upon completion, we hope all group members continue on to lead or co-lead a new group.
Jesus expected His disciples to multiply more disciples and that’s what we are called to do. In order for the church to continue and grow in the future, we must be obedient to Jesus and make disciples just as the early church did—there is no other plan.
How do I find or join a group?
If you would like to be a part of a DE group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will follow-up with additional information and help you find a group. You can also sign up through our church app anytime or use the printed Connect Card on Sundays.
If you are ready to lead a group, you can let us know that as well.